Undecided about your major? Start with an Academic Focus Area!
MCC grouped similar degree and certificate programs into seven Academic Focus Areas.
Choose the Academic Focus Area that best matches your interests or skills. In the Academic Focus Area(s) (communities), you will explore careers and still follow a pathway that assures all the classes you take will count toward your graduation.
MCC ACADEMIC FOCUS AREAS
Master the expertise needed to grow or own a business. If you see yourself as an entrepreneur or working for a corporation, this is the Academic Focus Area for you.
- Are you interested in running a business?
- Do you want to lead a team of people?
- Are you intrigued by the strategies and methods companies use to develop and promote products and services?
- Do you like working with a team to solve a complex problem?
- Do you like to budget or invest money?
- Do you like analyzing data and statistics for making important decisions?
- Do you have an interest in becoming a professional chef or baker?
- Do you enjoy event planning and working as a team to bring events to life?
- Are you interested in owning your restaurant?
- Are you a people person who is passionate about service industry?
Discover MCC degrees in the Business Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Community and Human Services
Professionals working in community and human services play key roles in educating, protecting, and ensuring the welfare and prosperity of diverse populations in their communities
- Do you enjoy helping people?
- Are you interested in serving your community?
- Do you enjoy thinking about communities, society, law, politics?
- Are you energized by teaching and caring for young children?
- Do you believe in the potential of others?
- Are you interested in the well-being of those in your community?
Discover MCC degrees in the Community and Human services Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Creative Arts and Design
For students who like to imagine, inspire, perform, produce and appreciate art in all its many forms.
- Are you interested in music, art and literature?
- Do you like photography, film, video and media?
- Are you a good speaker, writer and performer?
- Do you like to make your own things such as clothing or pottery?
- Do you like creating aesthetically pleasing interiors, such as homes and offices?
- Do you like to create digital and interactive art?
Discover MCC degrees in the Creative arts and Design Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Explore a variety of opportunities in the medical field, from patient care to administrative support. Help others while enjoying the benefits of a rewarding career
- Do you have a passion for caring for others?
- Do you hope to make a difference in the well-being of others?
- Do you like math and science?
- Are you interested in the business side of health care?
- Are you intrigued by wellness and health?
- Are you comfortable with close contact with people?
- Do you like to promote wellness to improve health outcomes?
- Are you interested in a career in the medical field?
Discover MCC degrees in the Health Professions Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Gain the valuable skills needed to enter the high demand industry of IT. Learn to design, build, or implement software, mobile and web applications, database systems and communication networks.
- Do people call on you to solve computer problems?
- Interested in creating and managing website?
- Are you curious about how humans and computers communicate/ interact?
- Do you like to solve problems and are you detail oriented?
- Would you enjoy learning computer languages?
- Would you enjoy dreaming up ways for computers and mobile devices to work better and do new things?
Discover MCC degrees in the Information Technology Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Skilled Trades and Technical Sciences
Use your hands and your mind to design, construct, or repair machines, automobiles, buildings, and more.
- Do you like hands on learning?
- Does fixing things intrigue you?
- Are you fascinated with building?
- Do you like to be active all day?
- Do you enjoy tinkering?
- Do you like knowing how things are made?
- Do you find pride in your work?
- Do you enjoy working with plants?
- Do you enjoy growing food and feeding people?
- Do you enjoy creating landscapes and spaces?
- Do you enjoy caring and maintaining landscapes?
Discover MCC degrees in the Skilled and Technical Sciences Academic Focus Area by clicking here .
Start here and go anywhere. Find the right combination of classes to make the most of your time and money. The Transfer Center & Navigation Team will help you explore options for your future.
- Did you come to MCC to transfer to a 4-year university?
- Are you unsure about your future career or college goal? Are you a part-time student thinking about completing your degree?
Discover MCC’s Transfer degrees by clicking here .*
*Several of the degrees under the Transfer Academic Focus Area are also listed in this catalog under the specific program area Academic Focus Area